BASIC DESIGN ASSIGNMENTS SHALL INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING TOPICS:
- Principles of Visual Compositions : The assignment shall be
aimed at understanding and using principles like Repetition, Rhythm,
Radiation, Focal point, Symmetry, Asymmetry, Background, Foreground,
Sense of Direction, Harmony, Balance and Proportion.
- Elements of Visual Composition : Assignment shall be aimed
at understanding the role of the above mentioned basic elements of visual
design existing in paintings, compositions, murals, sculptures, buildings
and in nature.
- Exploring Colour Schemes and its application on Architectural Forms
& Spaces : Assignment on Colour shall be aimed at developing
the skills to create Visually pleasing Colour Schemes based on principles
of Harmony and Contrast and degree of Chromatism.
- Study of Textures and Texture Schemes.
- Study of Openings for light, shadow, shades and sciography :
This assignment shall be related to openings in the building, windows,
roof, lighting and its impact on visual character of the space.
- Study of Planar Forms : This assignment shall be aimed at creating
abstract sculptures out of Mount Board, Box Board, Metal Foils and any
other planar material and also exploring the adaptability of these sculptures
to Architectural functions.
- Study of Paper Sculpture : This assignment shall include explorations
of various folded paper forms and its possible use in Architectural
- Study of Solids and Voids : This Assignment shall include creation
of abstract and semi-abstract symbolic sculptural forms and spaces.
- Study of Linear Forms : Students shall be asked to create:-
Wire Sculptures, Mobile Structures, Atrium sculptures, Space Sculptures,
Geodesic Domes etc. for outdoor and indoor architectural spaces.
- Study of Fluid / Plastic Forms : This assignment shall include
use of clay, plaster or any other mouldable material and create plastic
and free flowing Sculptural forms.
- Building Appraisal : In this assignment students shall be asked
to present an analytical study of the sculptural building forms and
its critical appraisal of visual character.
- Application of Basic Design in Architecture : This assignment
shall be aimed at learning to adopt compositions, murals and sculptures
for semi recreational and semi functional Architectural spaces like
Childrens Play Areas, Exhibition spaces, Outdoor Dining
Area, Entrance Gate of Exhibition Compound Wall, Compound Gate, Floor
Patterns, Atrium or Courtyard with levels, Monumental Sculptures in
Foreground of Buildings, Outdoor Recreational Spaces, Atrium Sculpture,
Building Facades, Graphics on Dead Walls, Murals in Entrance Halls etc.